I thought, as did my mom & grandma, Coco Cola Cake? Is this like tomato soup cake. With liquid tomato soup out of a can in the center of the cake? Here is what I soon discovered about the infamous Chocolate Coco-Cola Cake. 1st - many version.
I haven't been baking sweets too much since my vow to eat healthier, but today seemed like a dessert day. I made the Coca Cola Cake & I don't drink or like soda, but I loved this cake! It was so moist and delicious. If you love soda you maybe a little disappointed you couldn't taste the Coke in the cake. The cake itself is one of those moist fluffy cakes. If you pressed the back of a fork to it, it would just lift up with the fork.
Chocolate Coca-Cola Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup Coke (Coca-Cola)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350, and thoroughly grease a 9×13″-pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Bring the butter and Coke to a boil and add to dry ingredients, mixing until well incorporated. Add the buttermilk and eggs, mix well, and then fold in marshmallows. Don’t be alarmed; the batter is very thin and the marshmallows will float on top.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Frost when hot.
Chocolate Coke Fudge Icing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa
- 6 tbsp Coke (Coca Cola)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 ounces = 1 box confectioner's sugar or powdered sugar (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 cup chopped, toasted chopped pecans or other nuts (optional)
Mix butter, cocoa, and cola in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Add vanilla and pour over powdered sugar, whisking well. Fold in nuts. Spread over cake while hot. Let the cake cool entirely before serving so that the icing sets.This is a weird but very common recipe.
The result was very good, but very sweet. The cake itself isn’t too sweet - chocolate, but has a faint caramel-like flavor added from the cola. The icing, on the other hand, is incredibly sweet like sinful fudge, but the two combines meld (mesh) well together. The frosting makes a thin layer that is just the right sweetness for the cake.
Each person unaware of this cake recipe were not up to the taste test. Once I told them you will enjoy trust my baking this cake was enjoyed by all. I was also amazed to watch the way the marshmallows simply baked into the cake, making it extra silky and springy. Note: You could substitute the cola with another brand of soda. Pepsi, I find is sweeter and less caramel-tasting than Coke or RC.